Pages

The Noob's Guide to Cooking - Chicken Porridge

Hello, I've just finished cooking my own chicken porridge.
Bear in mind that I'm a lazy, 21 years old, who seldom cooks (because my mum helms the kitchen).
The only time I could cook properly (without mummy's intervention) was when I was in Shanghai for 6 months, and when she's not at home!
\O/ yoohoo.
This is my virgin attempt in cooking chicken porridge.
My mum has NEVER cooked it before, because my dad HATES chicken -.-
Just now, he was telling me how smelly the chicken was when I was shredding it lol
Anyway, the idea of chicken porridge came about because I was totally sick of my mum's FISH PORRDIGE.
grrr, I needed new food, and thought of chicken!
So using my handy-dandy YouTube, I did a search on chicken porridge.
Tadahhhhh, I'm ready to go.

Here's what you need:
Ingredients - Chicken (bought from NTUC Fairprice), Red dates (optional), Ginger (optional), Salt, Pepper, Sesame Oil, Mushrooms (optional), Rice (amount depends on how many are eating. Gauge it yourself ^^)



1. First, marinate the chicken with sesame oil, salt and pepper. You can leave it overnight in the fridge like I did, or for 1/2-1 hour before cooking.

2. Prepare water in your pot. Fill the pot 1/2 full with water, if you want watery porridge.  


 
3. Chop the mushrooms and ginger (optional) & prepare the dates by removing the centre seed

4. Boil the water. Once boiled, add in your marinated chicken.
Here's some tips: I added 1/3 cups of water first and boiled it. I believe it is faster to boil 1/3 of water, than 1/2 full. You can add more water after Step 5.

5.  Add in your mushroom, red dates and ginger (along with more water). Cover the lid for about 10 minutes.

6. Take out the cooked chicken and let it cool. Add in the rice into the chicken soup.  
7. After it cools, shred it with your hands! (This is when my dad said, "Wah, smelly!") 

8.  Finally, add in your shredded chicken into the pot! Cover the lid and cook it for a while. The longer you cook, the softer the rice!

And there it is! My virgin attempt of Chicken porridge.
The ultimate recipe for zhai nvs and zhai nans, lazy girls and lazy boys.

Disclaimer: It is at your own risk to try out my recipe. If you lao sai, hold yourself accountable for your dirty hands!

No comments:

Post a Comment