Pages

Visit to Microsoft Singapore



I had a chance to visit Microsoft through a school event.
Sadly, I didnt have an extremely pleasant time there.
Well, probably because I'd no friends with me, and the people there are mostly foreign students.
Managed to strike up a chat with an exchange student though.


Anyway, the Microsoft office was pretty cool.
Just, not as "WOW" as I imagined. True enough it was a cosy environment to work in, but I don't see much interactions among people.
Does the non-permanent sitting arrangement plan boost productivity, creativity and efficiency?
Microsoft could probably be a good case study to look at.
But I do admire its move to an open space office, where you can sit anywhere you want.
I mean, how many offices do that?
Too many companies have the conventional approach of fixed desks and tables, and the Gen Y-ers I've mixed with all expressed that they wished they could find a non-desk bound job.
"Sitting in a cubicle, surrounded by walls, very sian one leh"


We were only allowed access to two floors, not a wide scope of sight to see actually.
I was just fascinated by their free drinks corner, view of the MBS, and some of the gadgets such as this:
large screen touch panel where tweets, emails are shown. My thoughts are that, although this allows multiple hands to interact with the system, its not very easy to use. Even when I tried to move things towards me, I'd difficulties doing so.
And, I can't really envision how this could help in the future. Still needs improvement tbh.
Dell laptop with a tablet screen. Cool! Didnt try carrying it and see if it's light haha
We also had the chance to look at Microsoft Windows 8!
I did a search and found out that there's this pre-released version where we can download to try Windows 8 out.
Unfortunately, I dont want to take risk downloading it :P although I really really wanna try it out!
Doesnt it look nice?
With apps becoming central to our everyday lives, this is probably why Windows 8's design is heading that way.
The little boxes seems like an easy way to find your stuffs, and you could customize your page by dragging apps you want.
However, I doubt older people would enjoy learning this new operating system.
There're too many bright colors on the screen. Dont think my dad would like seeing such vibrant colors.
On the other hand, I would be excited to try it out (soon ?! if i've the money lol)

How I wish I could work there when I graduate :(
But, would they want me?


No comments:

Post a Comment