Pages

Seoul 2013 - Things to Do

Things to do in Seoul

1. Yongsan Spa/Jimjilbang

I highly recommend EVERYONE who goes to Seoul to try this. My bf and I spent a night over there an d we really enjoyed it! We went on a Sunday night, and there wasn't much people - which was great because we get to enjoy a lot of facilities without much crowds.
Some of the things I did was to swim at night in the pool, dip myself into the healing spa, went into the sauna rooms, eat eggs (crack it on his head haha!), drink sikhye (its so delicious!) and sleep overnight!
Entrance fee was 12,000W for nighttime, but it's really worth it.
Here are the food I ate:
- the eggs were really special, salty and kinda weird LOL
- the ramen was DELICIOUS! Can't believe I ate it when it was near 1am haha
- sikhye is a very tasty sweet drink, so remember to order it! Both of us shared 1 bottle to drink haha
2. Visit universities

Ewha Womans University
I am proud to have spend a month in the summer exchange programme in Ewha. The school is really pretty, kinda reminds me of English-style houses.
But, be warned of their female toilets, I immediately stepped out of the toilets once I went in. Can't imagine how such a prestigious women university with the brightest girls can have such poor toilet etiquette. Go see it for yourself, it's horrifying :O I pity the toilet cleaners.


Unfortunately, I didn't have much time to bring my bf to Yonsei uni or other colleges. Not like he has much interest anyway -.- never mind. Covering other destinations are more important!

3. Bukchon Cultural Village

Surrounded by Gyeongbokgung Palace, Changdeokgung Palace and Jongmyo Shrine, Bukchon Hanok Village is home to hundreds of traditional houses called 'hanok' that date back to the Joseon Dynasty. The name, 'Bukchon,' which literally translates to 'northern village,' came about as the neighborhoods that the village covers lie to the north of the two significant Seoul landmarks, Cheonggyecheon Stream and Jongno. Today, many of these hanoks operate as cultural centers, guesthouses, restaurants and tea houses, providing an opportunity to experience, learn and immerse in Korean traditional culture.

Glad to say that I've explored more places this time round. Went to Bukchon cultural village and followed their trail via the map. Pretty arduous trail with all the steep slopes, but it's all an experience!


If you follow the trail, you'll get to see the Chungang High School museum. Pretty cool, because the school has an European style.

4. Namsan Tower

The last time I was there in 2011, I told my friend that I'd wanna bring my bf here! 2 years later, my dream came true :) but, it wasn't as romantic as I'd have thought. Maybe because it was cold and misty. I'm still happy that my lock is hidden somewhere at namsan tower!
Took subway to Myeongdong station and walked to the elevator before taking the cable car up. I always believe in luck when travelling, sadly the misty weather wasn't ideal for going up the N seoul tower :( But it's okay, I'm not very eager to go up either.

Left our marks here:


5. Nami Island

If you've time to spare, go to Nami Island. I didn't regret going here - initially we wanted to drop this off our itinerary because we don't have much time left. But reaching the place, everything was worth it :) To top it off, the weather was perfect - really cooling!

The trip from ewha to nami island was really long. Around 2 hours of travelling time, and a few change of subways. Upon reaching Gapyeong station, we took a taxi (2700-3000won; beware sometimes taxi drivers turnabout before letting you alight so as to earn a few more hundred wons -.-; and jams are a waste of our money too) before taking a ferry in!



6. Yeouido Park, Hangang River & IFC Mall

Because it was raining the past few days, my Korean friend suggested we go indoor shopping. Prior to going IFC Mall, we roamed around Hangang Park, which was really cool haha. We even dip our feets into the water :P Although the sky was dark and gloomy (slight drizzle on and off), it was still rather fun!
I think we got quite some stares from Koreans because we were wearing slippers - but who cares! It's  raining and our covered shoes are wet from yesterday's rain!

The IFC Mall that resembles Shenton Way haha. Stores inside includes Uniqlo, Hollister and other big brands you can find in Singapore. Pretty huge and new mall. We had our dinner there, which was rather good. Take a look at the Seoul food post to see more :)


We also went to Yeouido Park where you can rent a bike for 10,000 won (for couples). We didn't because it looks like it was going to rain anytime.
 The only flowers left :( Heard that there are cherry blossoms here during spring!

That pretty much sums up where I went; others include shopping in Myeongdong etc which I won't bore you with.
The list above - I believe - are more "special".
Don't just go shopping everyday in Seoul, that's too boring.
MAKE MEMORIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment